Saturday, November 19, 2011

English Interlude, ctd.

For the next 29 days or so. . .Something about Milwaukee. . .and so on and so forth. (See earlier note).

Today I read seven poems by W.H. Auden (that's Wystan Hugh to his parents. . .see earlier note for related joke).

This morning, I thought it was strange that I'd picked Auden twice already, but Megan assured me the odds were not as against it as I'd figured. 30 slips of paper. I get Auden, who's in there twice, twice in the first six days. And twice in the last three. Calculation please?

Here are some of my favorite lines anywhere, from the poem "As I Walked Out One Evening" (I think Time is talking, but whatever):

O look, look in the mirror,
O look in your distress;
Life remains a blessing
Although you cannot bless.

O stand, stand at the window
As the tears scald and start;
You shall love your crooked neighbour
With your crooked heart.

No comments: